In the early 1900's A. N. Nelson built the first commercial and began the wholesale production of flowers. He was followed over the years by the Amling Brothers, the Maton Brothers, Spanbauer & Webb, and the Asa Brothers. Pana was selected for the greenhouses because of a quirk in the climate that made it one of the least likely places in the country to have a hail storm. At one time there appeared to be as many as 109 greenhouses in Pana. At its peak, the Rose Industry in Pana had 6 major wholesalers producing between 18 and 19 million roses annually. The Jordan Brothers, who for years were editors of the Pana News-Palladium, coined the name "The City Of Roses".